Friday, June 5, 2009

Gay Marriage Issue Thoughts.

I know, its been some time since they voted on it already, but there is a small piece of theology that sort of sneaks in this issue. It raised a few questions with me, and I am honestly wondering what others think as well.

First of all, this is a war that I don't see good moral values winning in this day and age. Yeah, we won a battle, but the war seems far from over. Personally, I have no problem with gay people living together getting the same types of government privileges as a straight married couple would. I am willing to concede on that part of the issue, because quite frankly I just don't see good moral values winning in that.

However, I clearly don't want it to be called marriage. My reasons for this are definitely theological. The Bible clearly defines marriage as between one man and one woman. For us to make it otherwise would be to make a mockery of what God said. In forming my reasoning here, I do also feel that since marriage did start as a religious institution, that the state should have nothing to do with it, outside of recognizing it as a union between two people so that they can get the government benefits of being together.

I have no idea when the state got to lay claim to marriage, and us in the religious sector seem to have been too short sighted at the time to see what a mess it would become today. But knowing the fact that marriage is indeed a religious institution, I am really confused as to why the die hard "separation of church and state" people aren't all over government on this issue. Seems to me that they use the whole "separation of church and state" argument is very biased in support of their opinions instead of clear and obvious truths and facts.

In the end, my solution for the whole ordeal would be to give marriage back to the church, and for when two people do join together (gay or straight couple) in some sort of union for the state to recognize, the state should have a different term for it other than marriage. End effect, everyone gets what they want, "separation of church and state" is put back into order, and hopefully everyone is happy.

Let me know your thoughts, and have a good day.

No comments: